Saturday, August 21, 2010

Project Ice Cream

   I've given myself a new goal.  A project that could theoretically never end.  A goal I'm excited to accomplish.  I am going to make a new ice cream every week.  
   This is a pretty perfect project for me.  I love frozen desserts, and I love making up new flavor combinations and ice cream mix-ins.  I acquired this enviable skill over countless trips to the local Shake's Frozen Custard for concretes in college.  I'd really prefer to only eat frozen custard, but alas, I live in a sad, sad place with no comparable frozen custard experience.  Don't fret, I'm still happy as a clam eating ice cream and frozen yogurt.  Especially when I know exactly what's going into each recipe; I can add beautiful, seasonal produce, homemade sauces, or my own cookies, brownies, and crunchy bits.  It is also nice to have control over how rich or healthy the recipe is.  A weekly ice cream will definitely be a nice outlet for my cravings of the moment. The only real downside here is that I might eat ALL of it.  I'm glad I know a lot of people who like ice cream.
    I've been going for two weeks in a row now, thanks to plenty of lovely fruit at the market.
Last week was just a simple triple crown blackberry frozen yogurt.  For those who haven't had the good fortune to try this type of berry, they are stunningly sweet and perfumey.  I mentioned them in the last post, but I love 'em.
    This week I snagged some local peaches for Crunchy Caramel Peach Frozen Yogurt.  A very simple peach frozen yogurt base with caramel and oatmeal cookie bits added at the end.  I couldn't stop licking the bowl and spatula with this one.  It might not be in our freezer very long.
    So, an official announcement to my family in Oklahoma:  here is your chance for requests!  Four weeks of ice cream making to enjoy by the pool.  A key lime pie version is really calling my name....


2 comments:

  1. My Chickasha grandma used to make a frozen pie with a can of frozen pink lemonade, eagle brand milk, and coolwhip. I know you could come up with some delicious pink lemonade flavored ice cream! Just a thought!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved the slumber party concoction you made for the pom chick sleep over...it was a big hit! The surprising twang of the buttermilk base was terrific.
    Left overs keep calling me!
    Love ya!
    Lisa and Faith

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog