Thursday, August 12, 2010

Jam Hands

    I finally allotted a weekend afternoon to making jam.  I've had many moments of good intention since the berries have shown up at the farmer's market this year, but the large amounts of berries we purchase each weekend never seem to make it that far.  We are berry-eating machines in this house; between cereal, smoothies, ice cream topping, and compulsive snacking, a half flat is gone in the blink of an eye.  You'd think we would grow tired of them, but nope. Different varieties keep coming in and they continue to delight- marionberries, raspberries, chester berries, blueberries, triple crowns, silvanberries,
boysenberries, etc.
    So, with jam in mind, I doubled up on the berry buying and still had plenty for our everyday eating. I used a jam recipe from Molly Wizenberg.  There's no added pectin, and the sugar content is low in comparison to many ratios out there. The berries here are incredible as is; they don't need a bucket of sugar covering up their natural sweetness. I used mostly marionberries, along with a pint or two of blackberries and raspberries.  I was a bit concerned about the jam not thickening properly, but it set up just enough. I love jam still full of seeds and loose enough that it spreads easily.  No mysterious gloppiness.
     I am pretty darn pleased with this jam.  A smidge of tartness amidst a comforting sweetness, and a consistency that allows for plenty of tasty possibilities.  I've been eating it by spoonfuls, but I think I must drizzle it over some lemon pound cake and homemade vanilla ice cream soon.  Or layer it in a gooey Monte Cristo sandwich tonight.
     I have plenty of ideas up my sleeve and peace of mind knowing that there are jars of jam to pop open and enjoy even as berry season dwindles and I no longer have pints of fresh fruit overflowing on our counter.

1 comment:

Search This Blog