Sunday, June 27, 2010

Finally Summer

    The weather is finally beautiful and warm. The calendar said First Day of Summer, and it was like a switch was flipped.  Whatever the reason, I'm a happy camper now. I've been waiting anxiously to stretch out like a cat in the sun, to read, eat, nap and relax as a warm breeze envelops my body.  Does this sound a bit cheesy?  Maybe... but I know I suffer from some seasonal depression; warm and sunny weather does a lot for my mood.
    This time of year also means ice cream.  As in, it is now socially acceptable to devour large amounts of it everyday.  Plus, with the proliferation of beautiful berries at the farmer's market, it is only right that I put it to good use and make ice cream at home. However, in the spirit of being healthy, I made a strawberry frozen yogurt this week.
     Let me clarify... this is no frozen custard (aka my drug).  It's not thick, creamy or fatty enough, but for a frozen yogurt? Hot dog. How can you go wrong with several pounds of fresh, perfectly ripe strawberries in the mix?  I used a nonfat Greek yogurt with minimal extra sugar, a little salt, lemon juice, and strawberries.  It is excellent. I've read some concern about the texture that particular yogurt produces, but I have not had trouble.  Just allow the yogurt to soften a bit out of the freezer.  
     I also teamed up with my friend who just finished infusing a bottle of vodka with pineapple and habanero.  We threw the vodka in the blender with my yogurt and what a treat.  It was sweet and refreshing, way too easy to drink, and had nice lingering kick as we went back for more.
     Welcome sweet summer; I'm excited for all this weather has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog