Monday, December 7, 2009

To The Coast

    Last weekend I was lucky enough to take advantage of the last bit of beautiful Oregon weather before this Artic cold arrived and head out to the coast for a night.  I’ve never lived on the beach, but I think I’m meant to.  My family and I spend a quiet week of vacation on the “Forgotten Coast “of Florida every year, and the trip has become a necessary pilgrimage that sustains us for the year.  There is nothing like the vast ocean and power of the tide to put life back into perspective.
    As different as the Oregon coast is from the gulf of Florida, the first glimpse of waves still makes me feel like I’m finally home.  Not to mention the hour and a half drive is much easier than 18 hours in the car with three brothers. 
    I spent an incredible day walking on the sand, reading as I listened to the crashing surf, and watching the happy faces of people enjoying the unexpected warm and sunny weather.  After a memorable sunset, we went to Local Ocean Seafoods for dinner.  If I lived in Newport, I know I’d be a frequent customer….head over for a quick bite and pick up more fresh seafood to cook at home.  It was small and comfortably casual with a perfect view of the commotion on the docks, rocking boats, and Yaquina Bay Bridge.  It’s easy to eat knowing the food has come from across the street and supports the local community and fisherman.  The best thing we tried was the Roasted Garlic & Crab Soup.  Rich and creamy, but not too thick, with big hunks of soft crab and gooey melted cheese throughout.  I’m already looking forward to stepping onto the beach again, another trip to Newport, and my next bowl of soup at Local Ocean.

1 comment:

  1. Stop by next time your in Apalachicola. I run the local Chamber and visitor center and I am a true foodie. I'd love to see the Oregon Coast. Much different from ours. Check out our website at www.apalachicolabay.org. Anita Grove

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog