Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Chocolate Babka 2.0

     Last night we were wanting a sweet treat and remembered there was still half of loaf of chocolate babka in the freezer.  I had even pre-sliced it for easy eating.  Well, warm, sugary, chocolaty bread sounded just right.
     I stepped into the other room to make a call and by the time I finished my boyfriend had gone above and beyond toasting and buttering some babka.  I was instructed to remain on the couch so he could surprise me with the dessert he had plated.  I'm still a little giddy thinking about what he made- Chocolate Babka French Toast.  But it gets better....the pieces were perfectly crispy and browned on the outside, drizzled with warm caramel sauce that I had also previously made, and then topped with a scoop of caramel praline ice cream (note said ice cream problem in post below).  Yep.  Talk about eating with goofy grin on our faces.  I realize not everyone has the same insatiable sweet tooth that I do, but who can resist that?  A perfect expression of what I prefer in desserts.  I love the textures of the crunchy outside and the soft, dense bread,  the chocolate oozing into every bite, the warm sauce to complement the chocolate and custard, and the delicious ice cream melting over the warm bread.
     Yes, chocolate babka does get better. A lot better.
     How about Chocolate Babka 3.0?  We had leftover custard and just two pieces of bread, so he cubed the bread and put it in to soak for bread pudding.  Big smiles again.  My mother's chocolate chip bread pudding with warm caramel sauce happens to be my very favorite dessert, and I have a feeling chocolate babka bread pudding (still have that caramel sauce on hand) will be a close second.

1 comment:

  1. Your mother's chocolate chip bread pudding is the closest thing to heaven that I have ever put in my mouth- I'm going to have to try the babka!
    Becky Schofield

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog