Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Birthday Cooking

     I'm currently making a cheesecake for a special someone in my life and I'm a bit nervous.  Considering I've made countless cheesecakes for various jobs and many more at home for cheesecake-loving pals, being nervous seems silly.  But this is no ordinary cheesecake recipe.  The handsome chef I'm dating was gracious enough to let me peruse his late mother's enormous recipe book of desserts.  She was known for her desserts about town.  Her recipes are dotted with sauce and fingerprints and covered in her lovely handwriting of tasting notes, measurement changes, and pricing. Her recipes had become a diary of sorts, and I as I looked through them I couldn't help but picture my own future children cooking from my recipes and scribbles.

     These desserts are big memories for him and now I've taken on the challenge of recreating one of his favorites for his birthday.  Well, that's some pressure.... But I was incredibly touched that he shared this part of his life with me, and I'm excited to be making his birthday cake.
     Toffee Crunch Cheesecake with Caramel Sauce. What more do I really need to say about that?  Lots of things to love!  Buttery graham cracker crust, rich cheesecake with bits of crunchy toffee in every bite, all covered in caramel sauce, more toffee, and lovely dollops of whipped cream.
      I think we often eat to reminisce and relive the little moments.  I hope this cake is as sweet and delicious as the birthday boy remembers.  I can't wait to taste it with him and celebrate his day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog