Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Presents From France

    My boyfriend returned from his trip to France - Paris, Strasbourg, Honfleur, Cancale, and Lyon- with many stories of travel and meals that I am achingly jealous of.  Wine, cheese, more wine, slowly dining and lounging at meals in Paris.  Giant platters of seafood in Brittany.  Jaw-dropping dessert carts wheeled up to his table.  Cheese plates cut and dishes sauced tableside.  It's all a bit of a fantasy for me.
    On the upside, he brought some treats back for me to enjoy too.  Exciting new spices for us to cook with, mace and long peppers, that I've only seen in magazines.  A beautiful box of chocolates with intricate little molds (ducks, rabbits, bouquet of roses) that were almost too pretty to eat- almost.  Another box of chevre chocolates that I was very intrigued by; they were small and delicate.  Four different fillings- plain, thyme, cumin, and roquefort.  Definitely unusual, but the size of each piece allowed for a nice balance between the rich chocolate and tangy cheese.
    But all this pales in comparison to the macarons from Pierre Herme.  The macarons that I have blabbered about to anyone who will listen.  The macarons that I've been dreaming about since.  The macarons that made my mouth drop open in amazement.  There may have been a high-pitched squeal.
The seven in the pack he brought back were so not enough.  The flavors we tried were:
  Olive oil and Vanilla, Salted Butter Caramel, Strawberry and Balsamic, Apricot and Pistachio,
  Lemon, Pistachio and Griottine, Chocolate.
    It was impossible to pick a favorite, although the olive oil and vanilla came close.
Now, I've had French macarons prior to this occasion, and they were pretty and fun, but I've never thought they tasted as good as they looked.  They usually have a weird egg white slick and a too airy crunch.  Not these.  The cookie is flawless- tender and soft, but not crumbly, just the right density.  The fillings were incredibly intense.  How is there so much flavor in that little amount?  None were cloyingly sweet.  Perfect.  I have an insatiable sweet tooth and am pulled like a magnet to baked goods, desserts, or confections wherever I go.  But these macarons blew my mind.  If you are ever in Paris or Tokyo please eat them, and then bring some back to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog